Scent of a Woman
I just saw Scent of a Woman. What a bizarre movie.
- Yeah yeah Al Pacino is a great actor and all.
- I’m sick of Thomas Newman. I’ve seen American Beauty and Road to Perdition, and I don’t want your stupid piano notes when I’m expecting silence or low music. A music score is bad when it draws attention to itself. (To be fair, he made this before he made those two and The Shawshank Redemption.)
- I don’t understand the perverse American culture where it’s dishonourable to tell the truth.
- Or where it’s expected to be rude to family.
- I thought “the guy playing George is trying too hard to ACT”, and sure enough, after watching the movie I find out it’s Philip S Hoffman, actor extraordinaire.
I did enjoy the movie though.
Update: I also saw Cinderella Man, and Thomas Newman wasn’t annoying at all. (Why does the Irish music in the credits have his feel to it? :-)) I remember Shawshank Redemption sounded great too. So he’s got better?